So, it turns out I may be slightly addicted to television...

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

untitled

So, it's been over a year since I last posted anything. It was a bit of a big year. I moved, got married, my business took off and I worked pretty much non-stop. And now for the biggest shocker: we got rid of cable.

Yup, I know, I just said the unthinkable. But you know what? It was time. It was something I felt I needed to do. Coming out of 2007 I felt pretty let down by television and the people who create it. I had watched Gilmore Girls turn to crap, saw the cancellation of Alias and then Veronica Mars and watched horrific reality shows take over the airways. I'm sorry, I just can't stand anything that has a camera follow around some rich, un-famous person that tries to pass itself off as stimulating TV but is only on because it takes 1/10 of the brains, creativity and money of a scripted show.

Online I continued to watch The Office and I'd tune in to CBC for Little Mosque on the Prairie (my ray of sunshine in an otherwise colourless tv-world). Even then, I didn't feel compelled to write about anything. Nothing really inspired me.

And then, little by little, TV won me back. It started with Stargate Atlantis. I had always held the show in high regard. I never watched the original Stargate SG-1, I don't watch Battlestar Galactica, I'm not a trekkie, and counter to what my husband would tell you, I don't consider myself a geek. But I love Stargate Atlantis. I love that the smartest character is Canadian, and even though Rodney is an annoying pain he's so much fun to watch "Zed PM, sorry Zee PM. I'm Canadian." I love watching John Sheppard do just about anything, and later my love-affair expanded to include Ronon. I loved the strong roles the women played, I loved the Scottish doctor. But most of all, I loved how it never took itself too seriously, even going so far as to make fun of Star Trek. It had the same sarcastic, clever writing that I liked about Veronica Mars. Only it stood a better chance because the SciFi network isn't the retarded snail the CW is.

Then CTV started showing episodes of ER online, and I got back into that. I had strayed from ER after Noah Wylie's departure, but suddenly it seemed interesting again, even if I had to struggle through John Stamos' arrival. And I've always been a huge fan of Parmider Nagra since Bend it Like Beckham.

And then it happened. My husband and I were in Cape Cod and were watching TV in our hotel room (it's become such a novelty since we don't have cable) and we accidentally caught the season 4 opener of The Unit. We were hooked. Fish, line and sinker. I got season 1 for Christmas and we watched it in 3 days. We're midway through season 2 now. And I continue to keep up with season 4. I can't really explain why I am so in to this drama - military dramas not usually being my thing. Part of it is Scott Foley, not going to lie, but it's just...good. I mean, the continuity aspect isn't so great, but I love covert ops and I love the wives stories at home and the whole thing just makes for some entertaining viewing.

Well, The Unit just opened the floodgates. Suddenly I found myself tuning in to 90210 - I told myself it was because I wanted to see how the US ripped off Degrassi (and they did - even stealing their lead and head writer) but now I admit it's my guilty pleasure. I was not an original fan, probably a bit too young to fully appreciate the original, but I have to admit, there's some good stuff going on there. I love Silver's witty remark's, I like Dixon and Aidriana. I loved how they did Spring Awakening as their school play - though completely unbelievable having watched the show on Broadway, no school would ever allow a musical where the kids all sing "Totally Fucked"

And then I got back into Law & Order SVU after finally finding a reliable web source... And then Scrubs. So, I admit, I'm back to being a TV junkie. So that means, I'll probably have more to say this year.

Beginning with my disappointment at the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis and how awesome was the season opener of Scrubs when Dorian tells them that even though it's been eight years they need to bring back the energy from when they started. And then the comment on The Nielsen's. I laughed!!! And then I logged on to Blogger. It took that episode of Scrubs to remind me why I love TV and why I love to write about it.

But, that's for another day.

Today I say, welcome back my friends. The romance has been reignited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home