So, it turns out I may be slightly addicted to television...

Friday, March 13, 2009

And the kidney went to some doctor...

Well. I just don't know what to say. At every turn something took me by surprise or put a lump in my throat. By the end, I had to come to terms with the fact that, from now until the end, I am probably going to cry during every episode.

I'm talking of course about ER's last episode. An epic episode if ever there was one. Dr. Ross, nurse Hathaway, Dr. Benton - it was all almost more than I could stand. So many memories packed into one hour. So many "Old Times". Sure, having Susan Sarandon guest star was a nice touch, but it wasn't needed for a true ER fan.

I held my breath and clutched the edge of my chair so hard during this episode that you would have thought the boys from The Unit were back in Syria rescuing Betsy Blaine. Every moment kept us wondering - would the heart work? Would the kidney work? Was Dr. Carter going to be okay? Because this is the end you know, the rules of the game have changed, they can kill off anybody now.

But of course, everything was a success. I'm so pleased with how the writers have been weaving us back and forth from the old ER to the new, with old characters turning up in new places. Who else wanted to shout at Dr. Ross that Carter was getting the kidney? I thought for sure, right up until the very last second, that all would be revealed somehow. But such is the greatness of ER. I know over the last decade and a half that the show has sometimes faltered, but boy when she's at the top of her game, she's good.

After 15 years, I don't know how to say goodbye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home