So, it turns out I may be slightly addicted to television...

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

It's Ben vs George

Well, well, well. After the cancellation of Everwood I was almost inconsolable - in fact, for several weeks I didn't even turn on my television (hence no recent postings). And then my mother, of all people, brought us back together again. It happened innocently enough - one night we were sitting in the family room having a chat and she flicks on the tv. Now, my mother doesn't watch tv - EVER - so I was intrigued. "Just checking on that cute boy from Quispamsis on Canadian Idol" she chirped.

WHAT??!!! My mother has never once watched American or Canadian Idol. And neither have I. But before you boo me, let me explain. I went to univesity in Scotland and in 2001 a brand new show came out called Pop Idol - with a snarky little judge called Simon Cowell (in addition to 3 other judges I can't remember). It was the darling of UK television and we watched religiously. That experience and those memories are held so dear to my heart that I never wanted to taint them with what I knew would be an inferior knock-off across the pond.

So getting back to my story. Mom does watch Live At 5 every day while she's making supper and they always keep tabs on any Maritimers who make it to the final 10 and this year there's Brandon from Quispamsis, New Brunswick. And so I decided to watch with her and check out the Canadian version of one my all time favourite shows (by the way, Darius Danesh was the most amazing thing to come out of Pop Idol - http://www.myspace.com/dariusdaneshofficial)

And while I usually flip past ETalk Daily in favour of Access Hollywood I had to admit that Ben Mulroney was kind of cute and pretty good. I mean, he can't touch Ant & Dec (the hosts of Pop Idol - http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/hollywood_on_tyne/byker_antanddec.shtml) but he was charming. And I had to admit that I was totally rooting for Steffi D.

But now for the big news. I had seen ads on the CBC for this new music/talent/reality show called The One hosted by none other than George Strombolopolous (and I've probably butchered his last name...). I love Geroge. I mean love - as in celebrity crush status love. I watch The Hour on Newsworld all the time. He's cool, he's fresh, he's edgy - he'd be the best thing since, well, Ant & Dec. I was SOOOO beyond eager for The One - and so excited that ABC had the good sense to make one of my fave Canadians the host.

And then I watched it.

CBC, I was so mislead.

George, you're just a tease.

I can't believe I'm saying this...but I think I prefer Ben to George. Tonight (Wednesday) they are both on - so I was able to make direct comparisons. Geroge's style, which is great on The Hour, just doesn't cut in on The One. It seems too forced. I felt like I was watching Don Cherry (and not in a good way). There's no connection with the audience, the competitors, the panel. Geroge, oh, George - what are you doing? But I still think you're cuter than Ben.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - George is way hotter, but Ben Mulroney is the better host. Not that I would say no to Ben if given the chance!!

7:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home