So, it turns out I may be slightly addicted to television...

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

If I was charged, I'd choose Victor Garber as my lawyer.

Yes folks - not only did I watch "Justice" tonight on CTV, I re-watched it (is that a word? it is now) twice. Except for the fact that I really and truly expected Sydney Bristow to climb out of the woodwork and say "Dad", I loved this show. I admit, I am all about procedural crime drama - I loved Law & Order even before there was SVU and CI. I like that there are some shows where I don't have to get emotionally involved and if I skip a week I don't feel the story went on without me. After all, I can only handle so much of will-they-or-won't-they-Pam-and-Jim or who-crashed-the-bus-killed-Lilly-Kane-raped-Veronica-Mars (or for that matter - will Abby and Luka live happily ever after?)

As far as premieres go, "Justice" was pretty good. It had the odds stacked in its favor, in addition to spy-daddy Victor Garber (last seen defeating the evil Sloan on "Alias") this show has Kerr Smith ("Dawson's Creek", "Charmed"), Eamonn Walker (from an old favourite "Oz" and last season in Darfur on "ER"), and Rebecca Mader (my least favourite of the group). The theme song was a complete turn-off, which is disappointing because I have been known to start watching shows based soley on their theme song ("Everwood") and in this day and age there is no excuse for a sucky theme.

That aside, I got completely wrapped up in the case and the defense lawyers from TNT&G. But until the end I was still skeptical.

And then it happened.

That pivotal moment when you know the fate of a show in your tv viewing schedule.

It was in the last 5 minutes. When they were waiting for the jury to come back from deliberations my stomach was in knots. And when they were back in court waiting for the verdict I swear my heart thudded loudly and I felt really, really nervous. I'm telling you, I swallowed hard, my palms were sweaty, my heart raced - it was as if I was going to win or lose the case. I felt myself hoping, wishing, willing for an innocent verdict. And I knew if the show could make me feel that way I was trading in "Close to Home" for "Justice". (Frankly, "Close to Home" was on thin ice anyway after killing off cutie Christian Kane, aka Jack, in the first season finale.) Now on with the rest of the new show premieres and I'll see when the dust settles just how this year's must-see-tv schedule shapes up.

And speaking of premieres, I neglected to add "Nip/Tuck" to my air dates. "Nip/Tuck's" 4th season kicks off Sep 5th on F/X and though CTV is supposed to air it as well, I haven't been able to find out when. This season is slated for 15 episodes and my sources suggest that we will not be seeing The Carver this year. (Good thing - I waited with bated breath for the Carver to be unveiled, only to watch a very disturbing, and disappointing, season finale). Christian will be back to his old antics (I believe a mother-daughter threeway happens quite soon into the season) but the truth is I watch this show because I've loved Julian MacMahon (who plays Christian) since his days on "Another World".

And I couldn't finish this post without at least one comment on the Emmy's. Way to go to "The Office" for winning best comedy!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home