So, it turns out I may be slightly addicted to television...

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Emmy Recap

Okay, so I know the first question on your minds will be - but Kari the Emmys were last Sunday. Yeah, yeah - I know that. However, I just managed to watch them on Saturday morning (don't ask) and, since this blog is about prime time TV I felt it was necessary to blog on my Emmy thoughts despite the fact that it's almost a week late.

Now, lots has been said on the nomination process and the nominees themselves so I won't devote much time to that. Let's just say that we got some change in the process, some change in the nominees, but for some reason the WB and my beloved Lauren Graham continue to be shut out. There, I've said my piece on that.

So on to the ceremony itself. I was so excited this year because The Office was up for outstanding comedy series. And I got more excited as I read Jenna (plays Pam), Angela (plays, um, Angela) and Kate's (plays Meredith) blogs on MySpace (and yes, it really is them) about how excited they were, picking the dress, getting ready, etc. Incidentally, both Jenna and Angela have posted their own pictures from the Emmys - worth checking out.

I LOVED the opening sequence with Conan - particularly where he goes down the hatch and through a ceiling tile into The Office set. For those people who called it "cringeworthy" I have to say - the skit was obviously about Lost, it was pre-recorded and who knew a commuter plane would crash that day and even though it did stop taking everything as an offense and grow a thicker skin. Sheesh. People get kidnapped every day - do we call Without a Trace cringeworthy? No, we don't. Because one is television and the other is real life.

As a Canadian living in a bilingual province I loved Hugh Laurie's French translation when he was presenting, and laughed so hard I almost peed myself when he got to "winnowing." (Incidentally, there is a great movie playing right now called Bon Cop Bad Cop and I highly recommend it.) John Lithgrow's "So nice the Emmys are back" when he was presenting was also very funny.

In terms of acceptance speeches, I thought John Stewart's shout out to the people at The Colbert Report was well-deserved (and his "decision" to kill Bob Newhart was priceless - as was the entire sketch with Bob Newhart - his look is priceless). Greg Garcia's much publicized "No Thank You" acceptance speech was also very funny - even when I knew it was coming. Even funnier was the director who said how he remembered watching the Emmys as a kid, leaning forward in his chair when the directors were announced... and wishing they would hurry up and get back to the actors.

I was, of course, thrilled with The Office win for oustanding comedy series. Less thrilled Tony Shaloub won for Monk again. But I digress...

The tribute to Aaron Spelling was very well done. His pre-recorded message with "Follow your dreams' was very touching and inspiring. And I was thinking that, much as "purple is the new black" on the red carpet, Jerry Bruckheimer might be the new Aaron Spelling when it comes to prolific TV producing and shaping what a generation watches. And speaking of Jerry Bruckheimer - YAY to the Amazing Race for winning the Emmy 4 years in a row!! That show continues to be the best in reality television for reasons I won't get into here.

And that just about does it for my Emmy recap. Of course, there was more - Conan was brilliant, Julia Louis-Dryefuss funny, etc but much of that has been said by others and I would only be repeating it here.

If you want to check out Jenna's MySpace photos you can go to her site www.myspace.com/pambeesley. From there you can also link to Angela, BJ Novak, Creed, Toby, Kevin, Roy, etc. Some use their MySpace as their characters on the show, some as themselves and some have split personalities :)

And if you're bored - you can check out my MySpce page too!

Have a great Labour Day Weekend!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home