So, it turns out I may be slightly addicted to television...

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

my "Girls" are back in town

Last night was the season premiere of Gilmore Girls and thank goodness for timeshifting otherwise I would have missed it. I know, that's so sad. There I was watching a promotional DVD from Princess Cruises and then all of sudden the penny drops "Oh my god. I missed Gilmore Girls."

So I ran downstairs to the other tv, the one with the timeshifting, praying that GG was on Global on Tuesday nights too (since I only get timeshifting on Canadian channels - yes, I know you can get it on the US ones too but that costs more and I have to draw the line somewhere.) It used to be that GG was on the WB on Tuesdays and Global on Wednesdays and I couldn't stand to think I would have to wait an ENTIRE DAY to see it - when all the other blogs and websites I visit will all have written their thoughts on the premiere. I'd feel like such a loser...

As luck would have it, it was on Global and I watched it from what I think was Calgary - somewhere out west anyway. And... it was just okay. All that and IT WAS JUST OKAY. I've read the spoilers, I hear this season will be great. And not to fret because Amy Sherman-Palladino is gone. Frankly, on the Amy front I thought the show jumped the shark last year with Luke's long lost daughter so I wasn't too broken up about it. It just felt like a bit of a letdown after a summer of anticipation. Luke and Lorelai over? Just like that? It didn't even upset me, they just seemed like bizarre wooden stick figures during those episodes - where was the spark of the old Luke and Lorelai? It was missing all last year and they didn't get it back. Maybe the show has run its course? I can't believe I'm writing that.

But Paris was the saving grace of the show. The best scene was her summer SAT-prep business where she gets both a mother and a daughter to fill out an aptitude test because she needs to know how much of it is the mother's fault and how much is the daughter's!

So I wait for next week to see the ramifications of Luke and Lorelai's breakup and how Rory and Logan will cope with miles of ocean between them. And I hope I care enough to tune in for episode 3.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home