So, it turns out I may be slightly addicted to television...

Friday, September 22, 2006

You know they're just characters...right?

So I'm watching my Thursday night premiere night on NBC and I am very happy. All is right with the world when I can be back with the cast of The Office and ER. (and I may have picked up My Name is Earl but that's another story for another day). And as I'm explaining to David that Neela's "gut feeling" about Jerry is just proof that she's going to be a great surgeon he turns to me and says "You know they're just characters...right?"

Totally ruined my moment.

Of course I know they're just characters! But half the fun of watching TV is to get wrapped up in the show, get carried away to another reality. Otherwise why watch? To me a show's just no good if I don't wish in some way to be part of it or feel like I know the characters, root for them and feel their pain. I mean, let's take my favourite shows:

Gilmore Girls: I'm ready to make reservations at the Dragonfly, eat a cheeseburger at Luke's Diner and have Rory show me around Yale.

ER: I was elated when Neela and Michael were married and inconsolable when he was killed in Iraq. I felt such pride when Neela was operating on Jerry. And don't get me started about the tears I shed when Abby had to have a hystorectomy after giving birth to Joseph. And I let out such a whoop of joy when Abby and Luka finally got back together.

The Office: Where do I send my application to Dunder-Mifflin? Can I marry Jim? And I'm so proud of Pam for leaving Roy and taking some art classes (and an aside - since when did Roy get so hot???)

Everwood: I was ready to move there.

Veronica Mars: Love her. Love her. Love her. My favourite little Nancy Drew is all grown up and going to college this season.


So I don't think it's a bad thing that I get transported to another world with my favourite shows. It's just a sign that the actors/writers/producers/etc are doing an awesome job. And yes, at the end of the day, I know John Krasinski is not Jim Halpert, that Veronica would have died 6x over in the real world, and that a real ER is not quite as exciting.

But when that tv is on and I'm curled up on the couch I have only one request. Please don't spoil it for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home